Saturday, September 02, 2006

Our words

Ah, now you will be graced with a feeble attempt at poetry. I do not claim to be any good at this, but I really liked this piece so I thought I would share. Some may not understand, so I will explain its meaning. I am 1/16 Lakota, specifically my tribe was the Hunkpapa, and I am proud to be a part of the Souix Nation. I am distressed by the loss of my culture, and happy about the attempts to save it. That's sort of where this came from. So..um yeah, here it is.

Our words

Our words
They were lost
Strangers didn't understand
Our words
They were stolen
Broken and hidden
Our words
Were ripped away
But found again
Our words
Give us strength
Their power overwhelms
Our words
We have embraced
Our culture they contain

For the Sioux Nation and my Lakota Heritage

1 Comments:

Blogger Kevin Brooks said...

Two very different postings! A rant about jeans and poem about your heritage--great mix!

5:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home